Designed by STANTEC architects, the architectural design and features of St. Andrew's brand new 5,000-square-foot Kindergarten Center and associated outdoor space have been purposefully constructed to bring the outside in, opening up doors for exploration, kinesthetic learning, small group collaboration, makerspace, and building a connection to the natural world. At any one time, several small groups of children can be working on a variety of activities: cooking, art work, literacy and math centers, music, or outdoor play. The open atrium allows for larger group gatherings including daily chapel service, morning meetings, and special performances.
HISTORY OF THE PROPERTY
In September of 2013, the Daughters of Charity were concluding their ministry in Austin and approached St. Andrew's about purchasing their convent residence adjacent to the Lower School campus (located at 1018 West 31st Street). Sisters Gertrude, Helen, and Catherine hoped that their home of 30 years could continue to be a place tied to God’s work. The timing of their query synched perfectly with St. Andrew's hope to expand our program to include a kindergarten.