Program Coordinator Spotlight: Head Cross Country/Track & Field Coach – Gilbert Tuhabonye
Where did you go to college?
- Abilene Christian University
What was a memorable college experience for you?
- Chapel everyday at 11 AM. It was a way to stop everything, reflect, and connect with people
Where did you coach/work before St. Andrew's?
- Gilberts Gazelles Running Group and Runtex
What do you enjoy most about working at St. Andrew's?
- The people. Everyone is nice and welcoming
What is your favorite movie?
What is your go to game day snack?
What is a something positive that you have experienced or been able to do during the pandemic?
- Have been to provide water to more than 100,000 people of Burundi
What is your favorite moment as a member of the SAS Athletic Staff?
- Winning 5 consecutives SPC championships
- "It is easy to start a fire and difficult to extinguish it." – Gilbert Tuhabonye
- "Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training, and some are not." – Dr. Georges Sheehan
Favorite sports to watch/follow outside of work?
- track and field, basketball, Olympic handball, volleyball and football
What's your walk-up song?
- Jerusalem (a unity song from South Africa)
Favorite vacation spot?
- Europe (France or Italy visiting vineyards)
If you weren't working in athletics, what would you be doing?
What do you enjoy most about SPC?
- SPC is the best conference to be in because it is small
If you could coach any sport (that you do not already coach) what would it be?
- Anything besides football and basketball
How many years have you been a coach/staff member at St. Andrew's?
Do you have any unique pre or post game rituals?
- I have a black good luck hoodie that I only wear during competition
For the latest on St. Andrew's Athletics, follow the Highlanders on social media on Twitter